HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra-Slim Desktop PC
The "Ultra-Slim" edition of the HP Compaq Elite 8300 desktop computer. It doesn't have any expansion card slots, however it does have integrated WiFi/wireless that doesn't affect the realtime performance of LinuxCNC.
Information off the model number sticker, may vary with product configuration:
|Description||HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra-Slim Desktop|
|OS||Windows 7 SP1|
lspci output under Debian 9.8 (LinuxCNC 2.7.14's uspace distribution):
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04) 00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04) 00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family KT Controller (rev 04) 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04) 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04) 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04) 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4) 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a4) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Q77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04) 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04) 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04) 01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)
Some older versions of the BIOS don't play nice with GRUB2 (which Debian/LinuxCNC use). The BIOS must be upgraded, which can actually be done from within Linux. Here is the overall procedure:
- use an rEFInd pen drive to boot into Linux (despite it's GRUB2 not being fully installed)
- download the BIOS utilities .exe (sp58029.exe)
- extract the contents of the .exe using Engrampa or a similar archive utility
- inside the "HP Utilities for Linux" directory extract both "hp-flash-1.00-1_x86_64.tar.gz" and "hpuefi-mod-1.0.3.tar.gz". The resulting directories need to have paths that do not contain spaces, so if extracting them into the same folder as the archives, you must rename "HP Utilities for Linux" to "linux_util" or something containing no spaces.
- in the "hpuefi-mod-1.0.3" directory run
maketo compile the kernel module
sudo insmod ./hpuefi.koto load the built kernel module
./mkdevhpuefito create the
- extract "J01_0228.BIN" from the "sp71294.exe" self-extracting archive into the "hp-flash-1.00-1_x86_64" directory
- in the "hp-flash-1.00-1_x86_64" directory run
sudo ./hp-flash J01_0228.BIN
- after it has finished flashing, reboot!
- after using rEFInd once again to get into Linux, fix GRUB using the instructions at GrubEFIReinstall - Debian Wiki
The BIOS flashing utilities for the HP Compaq Elite 8200 Ultra-Slim:
The same sp58029.exe file is appropriate for the 8300:
The actual BIOS file:
The computer supports a standard 2.5" hard drive, as well as an mSATA drive. TODO: find out the physical size of the mSATA drive.
The following inexpensive SSD works well:
The maximum RAM specifications:
- 8GB of RAM max (2x4GB)
- industry-standard 204-pin
- unbuffered non-ECC PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 MHz-compliant
- 1.5 volt DDR3-SDRAM SODIMMs (not 1.35V)
- CAS latency 11 DDR3 1600 MHz (11-11-11 timing)
- 512-Mbit, 1-Gbit, and 2-Gbit non-ECC memory technologies
- SODIMMs constructed with x8 and x16 devices; SODIMMs constructed with x4 SDRAM are not supported
Above specifications taken from Page 226 of the service manual.
Hard Drive Caddy
Appears to be HP part number "672365-001" or perhaps "578006-001"
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205
It will also need the antenna assembly which seems to official be HP part number "646811-001", but maybe also "698604-001" or even "646811-001", "621904-001", or "640247-001".
Spare Part No: 592685-001